How did we communicate in the days before social networking? I remember when we used to write letters, or use the land line telephone to contact our family and or friends. How amazing was it when I realized, you can have a phone in your car!
Things have really changed. Instead of sending a letter via ‘snail’ mail, we sent an email. The ever so loyal land line had to make way for our cellular phones, and yes, the car phone is also of the past!
Everybody’s got one, big or small, a Blackberry or Samsung, it’s in the pocket, or rather glued to the hands of its user. We use our cell phones for everything we do. To speak to a long lost acquaintance, is but a Facebook or Mixit click away. ‘Wealth’ in social networking terms, is determined by the number of ‘friends’ you’ve got in comparison with the person next to you.
So what would you say to God, if you could have Him as your Facebook or Mixit friend? Would your relationship status say: ‘In a relationship with God or single’? Would you be able to spend more time in conversation with Him or not that much? Will you be excited to read His status updates on a daily or hourly basis? What will you do when your cell phone battery goes flat, and there is no other way of communicating?
How blessed are we that a cell phone with Facebook and Mixit are not required to announce our relationship with God. We also don’t need either network to spend more time in conversation with Him, you can speak to Him as much and as often as you wish through prayer. It is also very easy to follow His status updates, read the Bible; you’ll be wealthy in knowledge with His word. The best news..., no battery will stand as a barrier between you and your Creator!
With all the technology at our fingertips, let’s grab the One that never fails us!
Jud 1:20 – 21
20. ‘But you, dear friends, carefully build yourselves up in this most holy faith by praying in the Holy Spirit,
21. Staying right at the center of God's love, keeping your arms open and outstretched, ready for the mercy of our Master, Jesus Christ. This is the unending life, the real life! (MSG)
Mat 6:6 – 8
6. ‘ But when you make your prayer, go into your private room, and, shutting the door, say a prayer to your Father in secret, and your Father, who sees in secret, will give you your reward.
7. and in your prayer do not make use of the same words again and again, as the Gentiles do: for they have the idea that God will give attention to them because of the number of their words.
8. So be not like them; because your Father has knowledge of your needs even before you make your requests to him.’